Obviously I am no photographer and most of my photos do not do my food any justice. This one in particular. But every time I look at this picture, I am reminded of the beautifully blended flavors and textures that came out of this creation. So I want to share it with you. Also, I make veggies patties quite often, and after eating these, my husband said these were his favorite so far of all the patties I’ve made. Another worthy reason to share 🙂
When I have grains leftover, I often end up making some kind of vegetable medley, or a scrumptious salad, but every now and then, I make veggie patties. And I am never disappointed. Patties are a great way to incorporate more veggies into my kids diet.
- 1 cup cooked grains ( I used farro here but any grain will do)
- 1 cup cooked veggies (i had leftover steamed broccoli and carrots, but again, anything will do and even fresh veggies work fine)
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 TBS herbs of choice
- 2 TBS bread crumbs (optional, but I like the added texture thing)
- Put all in a food processor and blend until well incorporated.
- In a heated pan, put a little oil so the patties won’t stick, and spoon patties into the pan
- Since everything is already cooked or at least chopped very finely, you do not need to cook too long, just enough to brown each side and bind everything together.
- Eat ’em up warm! They taste great cold too, as leftovers or packed for a lunch.
I prefer mine with a fresh crispy lettuce and some hot mustard, but if you are more traditional, they taste great in between buns with any toppings of your choice! My son devoured these so quickly, it made me so happy to see 🙂
This recipe is just an idea. Imagination is your limit here. You can add any kind of spices (curry?), or veggies, or nuts or seeds (sunflower seeds would’ve tasted great here) or anything you are in the mood for or can find hanging out in the bottom of your fridge needing to be eaten. Have fun with it!