This came out rich, sweet, satisfying and simply delicious. The kids couldn’t drink it fast enough. I had to make sure to put myself a glass aside so I could have some! And this is a great preventative beverage. Preventative of the flu and colds that is. Although “flu“is not a season and just an illness people get from not having proper nutrition, not protecting themselves enough from the environment, or simply being unfortunate to have had a dip in their immunity to catch the dang bug, it is good to be ready and step up our immunity boosting game at this time of year, which is called fall season, not flu season 😉
Pomegranates are packed with antioxidants, which is extremely important for cellular health in order to prevent free radical damage. Free radical damage will cause us to get sick much more rapidly. They are also loaded with vitamin C (protects from immune system deficiencies). And they are also sweet and delicious.
I added some fresh ginger which is a potent anti-inflammatory, and has incredible germ fighting and immune boosting abilities.
If all these natural cold fighting capabilities aren’t enough for you, just drink it because it is delicious.
- 2 cups pomegranate juice ( I juiced 2 large fresh pomegranates, but if you have some store bought juice that will work too).
- 1 large chunk of ginger (I juiced that along with the pomegranate, but if you aren’t pulling out the juicer today, you can just blend it)
- 1 large handful of fresh spinach (Because I just can’t help add green things to foods, especially smoothies)
- 1/2 banana
- Juice pomegranate and ginger
- put in blender with spinach and banana
- blend on high
- serve and enjoy!
- Make sure to sip slowly in order to let digestion kick in and to fully appreciate the goodness that is feeding your body.
For a cold fighting elixir recipe, click here.
Antioxidants to the rescue! I’m sipping a cup of fresh cut, ginger tea as I read this. I may have to incorporate some pomegranate to this cup of warmth…… Sounds great!