Home made ice cream is simply awesome. The kids feel like they are getting a treat (which they are, even if it’s “healthy”), I get to choose exactly what goes in it, and it is cheaper than the store bought kind. It’s an all around win! I really love the simplicity of coconut ice cream. Coconut flavored things is kind like the vanilla of the raw food world. Simple, elegant, non pretentious. I spruced it up by putting some date pieces in it to imitate chunks of caramel. It worked 🙂 And then toasting some coconut pieces to really bring depth to the coconut cream. It was so delicious!!
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1/4 cup almond milk or liquid of joice
- 1 cup coconut cream (from the can, the cream on top)
- 1/2 cup coconut nectar (Plus extra to drizzle on top)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/3 cup coconut shreds
- 1/4 cup date pieces
- put everything but coconut shreds and date pieces in blender and blend on high until creamy
- add the coconut shreds and date pieces and continue blending until well incorporated but not broken down.
- if using an ice cream maker, follow those directions
- if not, then place in a shallow dish and freeze overnight,
- take it out about 10-15 minutes before eating and scoop it in to your bowls
- top with what ever makes you happy!
For the toasted coconut I just threw a handful of coconut pieces in a skillet and heat it up until they started to turn lightly brown, maybe 5 minutes? Easy!!