This chili is so much lighter than most chili’s I’ve tasted and definitely lighter than my usual go to the Sweet Potato Chili. Cutting down on the beans by adding lentils instead makes it that it is still rich in protein without the heaviness of too many beans. And switching out the sweet potato for some butternut squash really sealed the deal for me. In my husbands words “this one’s a winner”.
One pot meals like these make me so happy. I make a huge batch, either freeze some for later use, or just have leftovers for a few days. And this method guarantees my kids will get a good dose nutritious delicious vegetables in one meal. As with most one pot meals, I find that it tastes better the next day, although my family had no problem eating more than half of it as soon as it came off the stove.
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 TBS cacao powder
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped
- 1 cup dry french lentils
- 5 cups water
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeds removed
- zest of 1 lime
- 28 oz can of diced organic tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked beans (I mixed white and black)
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, add onions and sautee until they become slightly transluscent
- add all the spices and keep cooking until the aroma has come out, 2 minutes about
- add butternut squash, lentils, and water and bring to a boil (this is usually when I chop the rest of my veggies)
- reduce heat, add all other ingredients except for beans
- simmer on low for about 30-40 minutes or until lentils are fully cooked
- add the beans 10 minutes before done
- taste and adjust spices and salt according to preference.
I ate mine with cilantro and avocado, because avocado makes everything taste better 🙂
omg this looks awesomee!!! Yummy and I agree avocado is amaziing
Yummy this sounds so good!
What would we do without squash?! This recipe looks delicious, thanks for the post! 🙂
Thank you and you’re welcome!! Squash is awesome 😊
Looks gorgeous, thanks for posting!
That’s why I love vegetables. So much color and textures. Looks yummy.!
It was SO yummy! My husband didn’t even leave enough for freezing!! And that was a big pot😄
Looks so hearty and satisfying! Chili is my favorite meal on the playa. I’ll bet this one would fuel me up all night. PS- Call you later! XO
It was! Thanks!
I’ve been on the hunt for some awesome one-pot meals. This looks so good. I’m a sucker for anything topped with avocado and cilantro!