This juice is just that: bitter, sweet, tangy and definitely full of love for my body. I have been loving playing with all the deep crimson colors and coming up with different tasty combinations.
The combination of the pomegranate (super high in antioxidants), grapefruit (high in vitamin C), beets (great blood purifier) and ginger (immunity boosting) makes for another winner of health for this winter season, when people seem to get more sick than other seasons.
Starting my day with another belly full of love.
- 1 large pomegranate, seeds only
- 1 large beet
- 1 large pink grapefruit
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 packed cup of greens (I used fenugreek)
- 1 large chunk of ginger (2 inches)
- wash everything
- juice in juicer
- serve and drink up!
This made enough for 1 adult and 2 kids.
This is such a refreshing, cleansing, lovely way to start the day. With everyone around me getting sick, I am taking no chances and I make sure every thing I eat supports my health positively. I am much better at preventing illness as I am healing it. This is why I decided to start my day with this delicious smoothie.
Grapefruits are high in Vitamin A (good for skin and mucus membranes), a great source of vitamin C (powerful anti-oxidant which helps fight disease) as well as lycopene(good for vision as well as UV protection). I find it to be a good colon cleanser as well, and drinking it fresh like this makes me feel like I am moving any unwanted bacteria out of my body.
I normally make this drink with flax seed oil but I don’t have any on hand at the moment and the coconut substitutions adds a really nice flavor. The coconut oil, amongst it’s endless list of benefits, helps digestion as well as speed recovery of a cold. I believe coconut oil to be a food from the gods as it can be used in such a variety of ways, internally and externally.
- 1 large pink grapefruit, peeled
- 1 medium apple
- 1 celery stick
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (the real kind, not regular “table” salt)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 TBS coconut oil
- 2 cups water
- put everything in bonder and blend until smooth
- serve and enjoy!
This recipe was inspired by my really good friend Sam. She made it for me this weekend and I loved it so much I had to come home and make my version of it for my family and now share it with you.
- 1 TBS coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 medium to large carrots, chopped
- 3 medium to large potatoes, chopped (if using russet, peel them)
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 small can coconut milk (5.6oz or 165 ml)
- 1 TBS fresh ginger (optional)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pot
- add onions and cook 2 to 4 minutes
- add carrots and potatoes and mix well to coat with the oil, cook another 3 minutes
- add water, ginger and salt, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook another 15 minutes or so, until the veggies are soft but not falling apart
- turn off heat, add the coconut milk and blend!
- I added 1 TBS of fresh ginger at the end to add a little extra kick and to boost our immune systems during this cold weather. Make sure to test this if you have children sensitive to too much spice. We love ginger at our house 🙂
- sprinkle a dash of cayenne pepper for extra heat