Need I say more? Creamy, meringue-y, bananas and chocolate. My husband said this was his favorite of all my pies, which says a lot because I have made countless pies over the years!
It was my son’s 1st birthday on the 20th. I almost made another cake that I have been wanting to perfect the recipe, but when thinking about Jolan, and what he really loves, there was no doubt that it needed to involve bananas. So I put my creation hat on and came up with this delicious creamy goodness.
This pie is raw, vegan, refined sugar free, flour free, but definitely not flavor free!! To my knowledge, and under my supervision, my son hasn’t had sugar yet. And barely any dairy. And to celebrate his 1st year on this wonderful planet, I did not want to introduce him to the white addictive substance. I generally choose to celebrate life, with, well life. And that is what raw food is.
Ingredients for crust:
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup dates
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- dash of salt
- put all ingredients in food processor and blend until well combined, but not too much or it will get too sticky and oily. You want it to stick together when pressed down but have the look of clumpy soil when done processing.
- press in the bottom of pie dish, or a 10inch springform pan.
- set in the fridge while making the filling
This recipe makes a lot of filling. Too much for just one 9 inch pie. I made a pie AND 6 “cupcakes”.However, it is perfect for a 10 inch springform pan.
Ingredients for banana filling:
- 3 cups soaked cashews
- 3/4 cup young coconut meat
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup irish moss paste
- 3/4 cups raw agave
- 1 TBS soy lecithin
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- blend 1st 7 ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth
- add the lecithin and coconut oil and blend until well incorporated
- pour into pan or pie dish.
- Set in freezer for a couple hours. If you make it in advance, keep in freezer and pull it out at least an hour before serving. Top with Chocolate meringue before serving and any additional treats. I added caramelized bananas 🙂
- NOTE: this is too much for just one 9 inch pie dish. I made 1 pie and 6 “cupcakes” with all this filling. It is perfect for a 10 inch springform pan.
Ingredients for chocolate meringue:
- 1/4 cup young coconut meat
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup irish moss paste
- 1/4 cup soaked cashews
- 3 TBS agave
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 TBS raw cacao powder
- dash of salt
- 1 tsp soy lecithin
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- blend first 9 ingredients until creamy
- add last 2 and blend well
- store in the fridge until ready to use. Typically let set in the fridge for several hours before using.