Luscious is right. Luscious. Vibrant. Slightly tart, definitely sweet. Slightly bitter, definitely awesome. Thick, creamy and dreamy.
I made a huge batch of this with the intention of sharing it with my family. I didn’t. I often go to bed with a thought for what the first thing I want to put in my body is. I am usually intentional with my first meal. And this time, I knew I wanted it to be red. Bursting red. With lots of anti oxidants and immunity boosting qualities. I wanted it to feel refreshing while still warming my body. I wanted it to be bursting with flavor and dense in vitamins. I wanted something that would make me feel alive and excited to be awake. This smoothie did all those things and then some. I’m making this again tomorrow.
Just in case you needed more convincing here are a few nutritional benefits of some of the ingredients in this smoothie:
beets: high in iron and B vitamins (great for blood and new growth cells), as well as potassium and magnesium. They also contain tryptophan (creates a sense a well-being).
grapefruits: high in vitamin A (good for mucus membranes and skin) and vitamin C (an antioxidant that helps the body develop resistance against infections). Vitamin C also helps in the absorption of dietary iron (so a great pairing with the beets!)
maca: high in vitamins B, C, and E (healthy immune system, skin and eyes), as well as iron, calcium and magnesium. Maca is also known to increase energy and improve one’s mood. There are many other benefits to maca that I won’t post here. If you’ve never tried maca, I suggest you do 🙂
jicama: high in fiber it is also rich in vitamin C and provides healthy amounts of minerals such as magnesium, copper and iron. Another great addition for this smoothie 🙂
- 1 large beet or 2 small ones
- 2 large pink grapefruits
- 1 large chunk of ginger (about 2 inch cube)
- 1 cup chopped jicama, or 1 cucumber
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1 large banana
- 1 TBS maca (optional but highly recommended as it gave me super powers)
- juice first 4 ingredients
- add juice to blender with all other ingredients and blend on high until nice and smooth
- pour in your favorite large container and feel alive!
- this made enough for two large servings. I sprinkled some cinnamon on top because cinnamon makes me happy.