Most times I end up making patties it is because I have left over grains of some sort. I love making patties for the kids because it is such an easy way to pack veggies in without them paying attention. This is such a quick lunch to make if you have everything on hand. Here is my latest patty creation.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 TBS fresh chopped parsley
- 4 mushrooms
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBS rice flour (any flour will do)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBS olive oil
- mix everything together in the for processor with the S blade until well combined.
- make 3 inch patties on a skillet and cook about 2 minutes each side.
- makes about 12 patties
Since the only ingredient that needs cooking is the egg, there is no need to cook for too long.
I served it with a leftover red bell pepper sauce that I had made. I didn’t write down the recipe for this one as I was making it but I really liked it so I will be making it again. Stay tuned for an update on that 🙂
This weekend we are going camping with about 20 other families from my daughter’s school. One night we will be doing a potluck. I love potlucks. I love getting to try a bunch of different dishes and always tasting something new. With that said, while camping, people tend to take the easy route and buy pre packaged foods and convenience foods, not to mention all the meat and white bread. I want to make sure my family and I get a good amount of veggies in.
That’s why I am bringing one of my all-time-favorite-large-group-feeding-dishes: vegetarian chili. This chili is pretty easy to make and will save for several days in the fridge, and freezes great. This was one of the dishes I made a huge batch of when I was pregnant and was so happy to find in my freezer once my son was born. And because of the amount of veggies I use, this is packed with nutrition.
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large celery stalks
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups tomato sauce, plus 2 chopped tomatoes, OR 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups of pre cooked black beans, OR 4 cans (15 oz each) of organic black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Warm up the oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the onion, belle pepper, garlic, celery and salt. Cook bout 4 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and lime zest, cook 10 to 15 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, minus the cilantro, cover and cook about another 10 minutes.
- Serve as is, or over brown rice or your favorite grain. I love having mine with fresh cilantro, a good sharp cheddar and some fresh avocado.
I doubled this recipe for this weekend.
Do you have a chili recipe you love? Please share! I really love chili 🙂