This recipe happened as my daughter went to bed the night before her 10th birthday with a fever. We have a way of doing birthdays at our house that starts the celebration right as everyone wakes up. You can understand my daughters disappointment when we told her we would have to wait until she feels better before we can have a real birth DAY.
It was only natural to make her a treat that she might be able to eat at least a little bit of so she can still feel the birthday love in between all her naps and sips of warm soothing tea.
When my kids have a fever I eliminate all solids and have them drink lots of simple liquids: herbal teas, warm lemon water, broths. As they start feeling the need to eat I give them very soft and easy to digest foods. Still emphasizing on plenty of liquids.
When I presented my daughter with this birthday treat, she was happy to be able to eat a little something sweet.
Vegan Fruit Parfait
(This is an estimate as I didn’t really measure anything)
- 5 very ripe Manila mangoes
- 1tsp of turmeric (fresh is best, powder works great)
- 1 cup coconut yogurt, or young coconut meat blended to a cream
- 1 cup berry sauce (I made my own by boiling down 1 cup frozen berries with 1 cup water, 1 tsp arrowroot powder, I added honey at the end once it was boiled down)
- Optional: 1/4 cup toasted coconut shreds
- Make berry sauce
- Blend mangoes and turmeric until very thick and creamy
- Layer in glasses or bowl and enjoy!