I never liked persimmons. Several people got me to try them at several times, and I just could never get on board with this fruit for some reason. It kinda bummed me out because as a vegetarian I eat mainly fruits and veggies, so I don’t like coming across one of those that I don’t want to eat. I’ve been even more bummed lately because persimmons are the IN fruit right now. Full on fall fruit. They are all over the farmers markets and every time I shop I feel like I should buy some, but I just don’t want to “waste” my money on them. Last week a friend made a salad with them in it. I just ate around them and eventually decided to stop being such a pries and just eat them. What came next was such a surprise. I actually liked it!! I ate them all! And then I had more salad! I have no idea what changed. I even looked up the nutritional content of persimmons and wondered if maybe my body was craving so much the nutrients and vitamins persimmons have that it changed my taste buds. Whatever the reason, I was so excited!!! A new ingredient to play with!!! I could not wait to go to the farmers market so I could buy some and eat them and make raw treats with them :)
So I decided to make a raw fall flavored pie to bring to our friends house warming party today. After a little hiccup in the kitchen, I made this beauty.
Ingredients for pie crust:
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup soft medjool dates
- zest of 1 orange
- put all ingredients in food processor and blend until everything sticks together but not so much as it forms a ball
- put in pie dish a using the back of a spoon flatten it out to form a crust.
- set aside
Here I used a spring form pan as it is easier to travel with, but normally I would use a regular pie dish. And I always put wax paper on the bottom of my raw pies or cakes to make it easier to get out of the dish as they can be sticky.
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 1/2 cups persimmon
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash ( I would have used persimmons here but ran out because of my kitchen hiccup)
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 5 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 TBS soy lecithin
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- put all ingredients in the blender minus the lecithin and oil
- blend until smooth
- add the lecithin and oil
- blend until well incorporated
- pour in pie crust
- put in fridge to set for a couple hours
- decorate with sliced persimmon, pecans and a drizzle of raw chocolate sauce
- eat up!!